Monday, February 1, 2010

TESTIMONIALS

Letter of Recommendation - Shurd Rice
Based on my professional and personal relationship, Shurd Rice receives my utmost support and wholehearted recommendation. I had the privilege to serve with Mr. Rice from March 2006 till March 2008 in Charlie Company, 2-25 Aviation Regiment (Assault). As his platoon leader, and first line supervisor, for fifteen months in Operation Iraqi Freedom and nine months at Wheeler Army Airfield, Hawaii, I witnessed flawless character, unmatched resource management, and rare peer leadership.
Army Aviation demands the best, especially from its maintenance test pilots, and Mr. Rice distinguished himself among the best. Mr. Rice never shirked his duties, as he knew mission success depended on his ability to maintain fully mission capable aircraft. Despite a grueling operation tempo, and headquarters’ demands, Mr. Rice not only accomplished, but also excelled at his mission. Throughout my career I have known many “Yes Men,” and witnessed the waste created by their unrealistic promises. This was never an issue with Mr. Rice. Because of his maturity, and sound judgment, he told me what I needed to hear, which was not necessarily what I wanted to hear. His candid maintenance assessments addressed problems early, thus providing realistic unit readiness. As a proactive advisor, Mr. Rice not only informed me of maintenance issues, but also presented feasible solutions, despite scares resources.
In Iraq, scarce assets, such as parts, tools, and personnel, made effective resource management imperative. Mr. Rice’s impeccable prioritization of numerous aircraft maintenance requirements maximized our assets, directly supporting our mission accomplishment. He made the most of all resources, especially the most valuable, his own time. Though allotted two maintenance test pilots, Charlie Company only needed Mr. Rice. He worked tirelessly, single handedly performing the job of two pilots. A testament to his phenomenal work ethic, the leadership never noticed the vacancy. Even when not on duty, Mr. Rice stood ready to respond to any maintenance emergency.
Mr. Rice’s skills extended beyond the maintenance arena, as he was an outstanding mission pilot. As a platoon leader, I was tasked to command numerous complex missions. Burdened with these responsibilities during a flight, I selected only the best pilots to accompany me. Mr. Rice’s sound judgment and aircraft control made him an obvious choice. When I became task saturated with mission changes, I had full confidence that Mr. Rice could single-hand a two pilot aircraft, ensuring crew and passenger safety, displaying his seasoned cockpit leadership.
For quality officers, leadership extends beyond the cockpit. Though a peer by rank, Mr. Rice was a leader by character. Unfazed by his already monumental responsibilities, he was often called upon to rally the company, reinvigorating mission focus. Mr. Rice always supported his leadership’s decisions, but we quickly learned to rely on his sound counsel.
Shurd Rice enabled me to succeed as a platoon leader. Without his flawless character, resources management, and peer leadership, Charlie Company would not have succeeded. I hope to work with this exemplary man again in the future. He will be an invaluable asset to any organization.

CPT Matthew Killoran
808-295-0593matthew.killoran@us.army.mil

No comments:

Post a Comment